I have seen eight kinds of wild orchid on Greenham and Crookham Commons, and in the woods around them:
• early purple orchids, which can appear in Bowdown Woods in early April
• green-winged orchids, which appear in late April or early May
• common spotted orchids,
heath spotted orchids and
bee orchids, which appear in late May or early June
• pyramidal orchids, which appear in June
• broad-leaved helleborines, which appear in the woods to the south in late June (I’ve only seen two, and both were rather ‘distressed’) and
• autumn lady’s tresses, which appear in August or September.
To see full-sized versions of the small, round photographs, click within the image.
© 2018 John Firth